Thursday 19 March 2009

Sportstest Physiological Assessment

So, today I had my cycling-specific physiological assessment at Sportstest, the company run by Dr Garry Palmer, who co-wrote the book which I've already mentioned several times in this blog - "Elite Cycling: Successful Sportives".

I was keen to have this done, so that I could correctly identify (rather than estimating) my training heart rate zones etc., to ensure that I make the most of my training time. I also wanted to have my 'baseline' stats to hopefully compare with my improved fitness come July.

The actual testing consisted of two sessions on a Kingcycle computerised turbo trainer. In the first one - the "Sub-maximal exercise test" - I gradually worked up to a power output of 150 watts, stayed there for 5 minutes, then worked up to a power output of 200 watts and stayed there for another 5 minutes. This test helps you work out your oxygen uptake and 'efficiency'.

In the second - "Maximal exercise test" - you have to increase your power output at a rate of around 25 watts per minute, until you've got nowhere else to go, and have to give up - not much fun. This test is designed to work out your maximum power output, heart rate and oxygen uptake (VO2 max).

Throughout, you're wired up to a heart rate monitor obviously, but also a mask over your nose and mouth, which measures compositon of the gases you're breathing in and out.

The tests are bookended by a couple of chats with Garry. Initially he got some background on my training history and goals, and also took basic measurements of height, weight, body fat etc. Then, following the tests, there was a full run through of the results and their significance and then a look at optimal training strategies in the light of these results.

I'll try and give you the headline figures - but more interestingly for both you and me hopefully - the conclusions that Garry drew about how best to proceed from here on in.

Garry's measurement of my weight and height tallied with mine - 5 foot 8 and a half and currently 11 stone 10 pounds. However, his measurement of my body fat came out at 14.1% - significantly lower than that of my Tanita scales. However, as he then went on to say, while my body fat is in the 'ideal' range for the normal population, it's a bit high for athletic performance - particularly given the climbs in the Etape. His first recommendation was to aim at a body fat percentage of 8-10%.

From my sub-maximal exercise test, the interesting figures were that my Efficiency was at 18.86% at 150 watts, but actually increased to 19.11% at 200 watts. This has interesting repurcussions for my training strategy, which I'll come to later, but broadly it means that I need to work on improving my efficiency at this lower level - ideally towards 22+%.

From the maximal exercise tests:

Maximum power was 277 watts (need to be aiming at more like 300).

Maximum heart rate 183bpm

Maximum power/weight ratio was 3.71 watts/kg (need to be aiming at 4-4.5 with weight decreasing and power increasing obviously).
Measured VO2 max was 50.3 ml/kg/min (Garry suggested this is a pretty good level given my limited training time so far).

From this, Garry also calculated my target heart rate zones as:

Recovery/Base - Up to 141bpm
Endurance - 142-152 bpm
Mixed Muscle Zone - 153-161bpm
Threshold - 162-172 bpm
Speed/Power - Over 173bpm

Garry and I then worked at putting together an individualised training programme, to take account of my rather 'eccentric' work pattern.

In my alternate week 'off' it basically alternates endurance training with threshold sessions, and works in an unstructured group ride.

My 'work' week is of necessity a bit easier, my days off being used for longer endurance sessions, and my work days being used just as commute/recovery days.
Anyway, I don't want to blind you with too much science, but overall I found the session really interesting, and useful, and I'm very glad I've done it. I already knew from the book that Garry's approach was one that would really suit me, and that proved to be true. He was really helpful and encouraging, and even managed to make the less impressive stats seem not quite so depressing. His assertion that I could probably manage the Etape next week (although it wouldn't be much fun!) was worth the money on its own.


I shouldn't leave this entry without mentioning that on Tuesday we had a meeting with Fran and Katy from Face Partnership - who are organising the Sky Etape team. Again it was really useful to meet them, and particularly to hear Fran's experiences of doing the Etape. All the other guys on the team were really friendly and interesting too - although I'm slightly concerned that I'm the most 'beginnerish' - I'm starting to feel more confident day by day though, and I think if I can stick to my training schedule I should hopefully be ok.

5 comments:

  1. You look like a lab rat with all these things. But from your writing it seems you are on the right track. Good!!

    Personnally, I have my own little challenge, Göteborg half-marathon in May. So instead of cycling I am jogging, but the common point is that it's new for me too!

    Take care champion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh wow...a half-marathon, that sounds really hard - I couldn't even run half a mile so I'm very envious and full of admiration. How's the training going? x

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's going qui te OK so far, I usually run between 5 and 8 km and last Sunday I ran 10km in 1h07. But the big question is how to go from 10km to 21km...

    We'll see!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bleedin' hell mate, what's all that get up you're wearing???? Is it some kind of sick, perverse sexual deviant costume? I like it, don't get me wrong. Just not sure it's appropriate for such a public blog. Tidy your act up mate. Poor from you.

    ReplyDelete